What action can you take if you are dissatisfied?

If you are dissatisfied with your experience with PSR you may contact the Director or the Executive Officer of PSR.

You may seek judicial intervention or review in the Federal Court or Federal Circuit Court, in accordance with the Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977 or section 39B of the Judiciary Act 1903. If you choose to seek such intervention your medical defence organisation or lawyer can assist you with this process.

PSR publishes all significant court outcomes in its Annual Reports and past judgements can be found www.austlii.edu.au.

Other relevant bodies you may wish to contact should PSR not meet your expectations are the:

  • AMA or other industry representatives
  • Commonwealth Ombudsman, whose role is to ensure all administrative action by Australian Government agencies is fair and accountable
  • Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, whose role is to manage the operation of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 and the Privacy Act 1988

You may also wish to inform your professional organisation, such as the AMA or other industry representative, of your experience of the PSR process.